Bloomsbury Wiksten Tova Dress

Liberty print Wiksten Tova by Ivy Arch

After the sewing saga that was my quilted spring coat, a fast fashion sewing fix was necessary. This Wiksten Tova took a few hours to make and seemed the ideal way to use some of the discounted Liberty Bloomsbury Gardens material I bought at Brighton's Ditto Fabrics recently. The fabric appears to be 'seconds' as there is a printing smudge along the selvedge and a little bit of spotting on parts of the reverse of the print, though the front looks pristine, showing a clear and bright rendition of Duncan Grant's Lytton design. The cotton is fantastic Liberty quality and hardly needed ironing after a pre-wash.

Liberty Bloomsbury Garden 'Lytton' fabric and Makower 'Kensington Floral'

Having made Tova dresses twice before I didn't even need to check the instructions and the whole thing came together with speed. I made a few modifications; changed the neckline to a scoop neck which I finished with floral bias binding, lengthened the sleeves by 5cms and added large patch pockets.

Liberty print Wiksten Tova by Ivy Arch

The yoke, pockets and sleeve trim are cut from a piece of Makower fabric called Kensington Floral. This I bought from Worthing's Sewing Machine Shop on Brighton Road. Happily the shop is under new management so I'm giving it a plug here as I wish the new owners well!

Modified Tova neckline finished with bias binding
Kensington Floral patch pocket

My Bloomsbury Tova was a hit on Instagram before I'd even finished sewing it and I've already cut out a second which I hope to finish in time to wear on Mother's Day this weekend.

Sandals and socks, ready for spring!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...